Monday, June 2, 2008

Life is a Beach!


Early May, the whole family went to the west coast. It was the first sunny, weekend day in a while. (The last being the day of my garage sale) It seems like the weekdays are nice and the clouds wait for Saturday.

One thing we weren't prepared for...the cold. In Arizona, sun=warm; May in Oregon, sun=you never know. Wade and the boys wore shorts and I had my capris (or half pants, as Wade calls them). TeddyGram and Grandad taught Chandler and Henry well in Galveston...when going to the beach a tropical shirt is a must...so they both broke out the floral.

Our first stop was KB Toys in Seaside for beach toys. No, I didn't lose them in the move, like my camera and garden tools, just weren't worth packing. We then headed south to Cannon Beach. The first stop was Ecola State Park. It was an awful drive through beach forest and cottages, a few custom homes. We couldn't understand why anyone would live there...at least that is what we are telling ourselves! Once in the park, we drove to the higher view point. Just amazing!

Ever since my first visit to the west coast in 1993 with Wade's parents, I am in love with the Pacific Coast. From Seattle to San Diego, I am humbled by the pines and cliffs meeting the beach and water. This visit did not disappoint me, after 15 years, the view still took my breath away.

Next, after a drive on a small road, twisting around tall pines, we found the beach front. The tide was in so sand was scarce. The beach was mostly smooth rocks and driftwood. We looked like dweebs caring the sand toys. But not for long, we found a small sand area and shortly after that the tide receded and we had tons of sand to play in.

The boys had so much fun playing. Wade and I enjoyed relaxing on the beach, not needing to chase a toddler in Swimmers.

1 comment:

ORSprueills said...

Right now I would envy something above 60 degrees!