Monday, December 22, 2008

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

Another day, another few inches of snow and ice. For those of you who live or have lived in big snow states, you might think we are being a little silly, whining about 16+ inches of snow. So you understand the rarity of this amount of snow in a week, really a month, for Portland is a record! This is the most snowfall received in December since 1968. Yes, 40 years (easy math especially since I was born in 1968!). And, this is the 4Th largest amount of snow received during one storm in the Portland area on record. Also, it will take only a few more inches to beat the records...JUST IN...it has surpassed the 4th and is now the 3rd largest!
With that rarity comes lack of equipment and resources. ODOT has done a great job staying on top of the freeways since so much time is used on those roads, the side streets haven't been plowed. The City of Forest Grove does even own a plow!


Obviously, the surrounding peaks, which hold snow all year, are loving the great skiing and snowboarding conditions. The last report was a base depth of 61". The hard part is getting there. I had to cancel a check up for today. Luckily, I have a at home interrogator (so glad I ordered that this year). Although Wade made it to work...he lives for the thrill of the drive....me not so much.
Another upside, I mailed all my Christmas packages two weeks ago. Trucks are held up near along the Gorge since I-84 is closed, keeping a lot of food, mail, etc. from being delivered. I haven't left the neighborhood since last Thursday and that was the first time since the previous Saturday. I'm hoping to go food shopping tomorrow while the boys attend a birthday party across the street.
We do count our blessings. We have enjoyed playing in the snow and sledding. A lot of school buddies live within walking distance so the boys can have playdates. When there isn't a playdate, Chandler and Henry love playing together and get along 90% of the time. The shoveling and walking in the snow make for a good workout. We are blessed to still have power and heat. We were able to deliver donations for local, needy families last Thursday. Wade has made it to work and back home safely.







3 comments:

ORSprueills said...

I guess we are lucky to not have travel plans. I thought about what if you had come up. Although the snow play would be great, we would be stuck at home.

Hopefully he flew out today, they released a lot of flights.

Shannon said...

I feel for you guys. I don't think you can ever get used to tons of snow. We are at about 18in and with drifts from the wind it is 3/4 of the way up our back yard fence. I just gald we don't have to travel any where either. MERRY CHIRSTMAS!!

ORSprueills said...

And no mail for five days! That is one of the worst side effects!