Saturday, December 20, 2008

Remembering my mom....

Today, in memory of the two year passing of my mother, I've decided to share two of my Nativities from my collection.
I have a Nativity collection of around 20. They range in age from my grandmother's wax set which is at least 60 years old; the youngest the Holdaways brought me from Hawaii. I received my first one from my grandmother which she made about 22 years ago; my newest I just received from my sister, Sheri. They are made from many different materials and come in different settings, from ornaments (also from my sister) to snow globes (also from the Holdaways). I could go on since each one is special to me.

Today, I am showing the last two my mother and Ted gave me just a week before she passed on. We call them the largest and smallest.


The largest she loved to set out. It has beautiful detailing. Joseph stands about a foot tall.


The smallest, she had as long as I can remember. So small it can sit on a Susan B. Anthony dollar.

3 comments:

dsnyfam said...

I love the Nativity; they are so simple but at the same time almost have a power about them that draws you to look longer. I bought myself a new one at the end of last year - the Willow Tree Angels; you know the very plain wooden style with wire wings. It's the main set of Mary Jesus and Joseph with a shephard and sheep and an ox. I put my willow tree angel listening to the seashell (the one I gave Mommy in the Hospital) with them and will have to look for the camels and wise men after Christmas to add to it. I also have Grandma's set up at the entrance of my house, and my other one it the little resin set that is for children. My girls loved playing with it and it kept them from playing with the "good set." Remember setting ours up at home?

ORSprueills said...

Sheri gave me the Willow Tree one a few years ago...probably one of my favorites. I don't have the extended pieces either.
Yes I remember.

ORSprueills said...

Yes, that was exciting in our house too.
I place the angel you gave me with the Willow Tree Nativity.