Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Are You My Mother?


After the bus left this morning, I returned to the house to find Chandler's homework folder left behind. Not that I need to justify my next action, but I will by saying he never forgets his homework nor do I need to remind him to pack it. So the stay-at-home mom in me kicked in and I drove the 4 miles (if that) to school to deliver his homework.
I figure I can beat the bus and meet him in the parking lot/drive-up lane. Sure enough, I do and watch him get off the bus and start towards the school, where the kids play outside until the doors open at 8:50. I can't get out of the car, school rules, so I'm yelling for Chandler from my car...every kid's nightmare! Our neighbor, from across the street, hears me first and looks at me very curiously and hesitantly. Mind you, they just saw me at the bus stop and see my car every day...for God's sake it is an innocent mini-van with a Disneyland antenna ball! Chandler finely looks at me but keeps walking! I wave again, with a look of 'It's me Mom!' He looks again..and keeps walking!!!!! I finally get out of the car and wave his homework folder in the air!!!!!! I guess that is the "white flag" of the school ground rules. He walks over, grabs his homework with a big thank you, and rushes back to his friends. Before he leaves I ask, "Why didn't you come over?"
Chandler, "I didn't know it was you." I had to laugh and also look at the upside. At least he is cautious and doesn't run to any car yelling his name.

Part Two:
Now that I have handed off the homework folder, I need to wait in the drive-up lane to drive out of the parking lot. Kids are crossing the lot from buses to school grounds. Two teachers are assisting with stop signs. One (unfortunate) teacher is taking to a student, actually be talked to by a student. It is another neighbor of ours. So now I will tell you about our neighbors to the south. This was going to be a post all by itself but I felt guilty complaining about children.
Our neighbors have four children: seven year old twin boys, and a boy and girl preschool age.
The twins are outside alone A LOT. If we ('we' being any one person from our household, including Wade (Wayne as they call him)) are outside or even in the garage with the door up, they come right in and begin 20 questions. "What are you doing? Why? Where is Miss-chelle? Why? Why are you painting the garage? It looks messy in here. Why is it messy? Why don't you clean it then paint? What is this for? What do you have in the backyard? Why are you cutting the flowers? Is that why you grow flowers? We went to two bar-b-ques this weekend, did you?"
When I meet the boys at the bus stop, they get to me first and start telling me about their day or anything they may know about Chandler and Henry's day.

At first we thought it was cute, but now, four months later, it is very intrusive. They really just rambling off questions, they seem to care less about the answers or that you are busy with something, and more about talking. I think you get the gist.

Back to the school. As I am waiting to drive off, I see one twin talking to the teacher, as she is clearing trying to manage crossing the students safely. He is just talking on and on. I imagine he is rambling about the same things he bombarded me with at the bus stop this morning. She had the same 'save me' look on her face as Wade and I often do.
The mom and Christian in me has compassion for these kids but at the same time I want to say, "BUG OFF!"

Luckily, they are renting. Not sure for how long but there is hope for an end. It feels good to vent so please pardon my negativity and have compassion for us.

2 comments:

ORSprueills said...

Yes, pjs would be the icing on the cake. It would make a good In The Motherhood story.

It does surprise me! What did your neighbors say to you? Maybe it will help!

ORSprueills said...

I think their parents are clueless.