Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bleach and me

I have a bad relationship with bleach. Wade has almost forbidden me to clean with it. BUT I decided I had to have it for our whites to be really white (the color safe type just isn't cutting it). I promised myself the bottle would not leave the laundry room. No matter what other cleaning job I might want it for, it would not leave the room.

See, the first time bleach turned on me, was moving from our apartment into our new house in 1996. I wanted to be sure we received our deposit in full, no questions. I mopped the kitchen floor with water and bleach and rested the mop on the carpet against the counter. Yes, I know, stupid. The blue carpet had a white streak mark from the mop. Needless to say, $250 was deducted from our refund.
The second offense, was during Chandler's potty training. Whenever he had an accident I would clean the spot and pour Nature's Remedy over the spot. Nature's Remedy is a great product for removing urine smells, which we had on hand for the cats. I always kept the bottle in the laundry area on top of the washing machine. Long story short, and to save my marriage, the bottle I pick up wasn't NR it was bleach. I poured it on the spot without reading the label. I didn't realize it until the spot started turning white.
The final straw, because the bottle never left the laundry room, a new shirt pictured below was wasted. I only wore it once. I placed it on the washing machine's rim to dry. There must have been bleach residue on the rim.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

The horrors of bleach! I have these washing 'rules' if I use bleach in the washer it has to be the 3 loads from the last (2 loads of whites 1 with bleach the 2nd load without bleach that I pour water down the dispenser then a sheet load then when I start the next round of laundry with towels). Bleach has ruined plenty of my clothes, never carpet though. I don't take any chances!