Saturday, July 5, 2008

Can she bake a cherry pie?


Yes, I can!




I baked two!
Let me start from the beginning. Slowly but surely the fruit on our cherry tree has made an appearance. The color changed to a beautiful red but the size was still very small. I was expecting a large cherry...what else? Well, apparently there are small cherries that grow on Cherry Pie Trees. Once I figured this out, I then realized the cherries are ripe and there are a lot of them!


Friday, I started to pick and picked and picked, even in the rain, even on a ladder, I was going to pick them all, it just didn't matter.
I picked two large bowls full. The down side to picking so many at one time is the pitting.



Even with my handy pit remover, I started to feel the pain. Saturday, I pitted about 13 cups of these small cherries. Chandler even got into it by doing a few cups.
Pitting 13 cups of cherries...cost...a sore hand.
Ingredients to make two pies and 7 jars of Cherry Conserve...$20
A new pressure cooker to help with the canning...$90
Hearing your husband say, "This is the best cherry pie I have ever had!"....Priceless!
PS We thought of you John L. and wished we could share with you.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

looking forward to a bite, will the apples be ready by august?? Is it blueberry picking season yet? I love the fresh fruit & vegies you get in 4 season country!

ORSprueills said...

Maybe we can bake a blueberry pie together, but you must keep my crust a secret!
Another thought...you can combine Mt. St. Helens with Grand Wolf.

ORSprueills said...

It's not a professional looking lattice but not bad for my first one.
You know I'm not a fruit pie fan but this one is worth the calories!

Wendy said...

Wow, what a bounty of cherries! Your pies look delicious! You are so good about canning. Does the pressure cooker make a difference? I have always wanted to make jam, can etc, and have wanted my dad to teach me but we just never have gotten around to it. I wonder if you can fertilize your tree to improve your cherries. All that pitting!! I will ask my niece. Where we pick cherries the size is regular cherry size. Great pies!

ORSprueills said...

This is the fist year I have used the cooker. These days, most books call for one instead of inverting, due to FDA rules on canning. A large stock pot works too but they don't hold as much.
Growing up I made raspberry jam with my grandmother from the bushes in her yard...maple syrup too.
Most the local farms have regular size cherries too. I was surprised by the size but it produced a ton. I think it is normal for the variety, since a lot like this grow in the wild here. Let me know what she says.