Friday, May 9, 2008

Blame it on the Beta Blockers?

Yes, this is a grocery list. No, not mine...I found it in my cloth, reusable grocery bag when I returned from the grocery store today. Weird, how would another person's list get in my bag? However that happened, it reminded me of a few recent memory lapses which Wade and I found humorous.
After my cardiac arrest, I seemed to forget a few things from my past-- places I visited, timelines, or things I said (I guess I left them on the other side). Luckily, Wade is around to remind me.
I heard and read about people experiencing memory loss after near death or death and recovery incidents. I was content with that explanation. Then, one night Dateline (or one of the many nightly news shows) did a report on Beta Blockers and their use to induce memory loss for crime victims. Eureka!!! I take a Beta Blocker to help control my arrhythmia. Long story short, we blame my poor memory on the Beta Blockers.
Here are the top 3, most recent memory blocks. Why only 3? I can't remember any more than that!
3. Seeing this list above reminded me of this one. A few weeks ago, I return from grocery shopping and I can't find my list that I just used to shop. Big deal? For me it was, because my list had copies of the recipes I was planning for the week. So once the list was lost, I forgot what recipes I was going to cook. I still haven't found it.

2. Last weekend, I was cooking Galette of Rhubarb, which called for baking soda. I thought I had baking soda on hand...who doesn't. I couldn't imagine doing Christmas baking without it BUT I couldn't find it in the kitchen...so I must be out. I went to the store and bought more, did my baking and didn't think twice about it...until...three days later, the Today Show had a segment on doing laundry...I remember! In December, I purchased a HUGE bag of baking soda at Costco and put it in the laundry room for washing.

1. The number one memory loss within the last month...this is a good one. This also gets the award for the quickest loss of memory loss. Leaving the grocery store, I unlock the car, get in, start the car, then my phone rings. I answer the phone, talk and hang up. I can't find my car keys. I know I had them because I unlocked the car. I check my pockets, purse, seats, cup holders, etc. Any guesses? I gave a hint in sentence three. They are in the ignition, to make it worse...the car is running!
When I told Wade that one, he had a look of, 'Should I commit her or not?'
Feel free to share your greatest memory moments...if you can remember.

3 comments:

ORSprueills said...

I didn't find it but it was a copy. I don't remember that with the chcken recipe...did you tell me?
I remember things with lists and my PDA, but once it is out of my head and on paper, my mind eliminates it.

Did you like The Office tonight? We thought it was a great season finale.

Wendy said...

What I am forgetful most about is I walk into any room, mostly the pantry, and say what the heck am I doing in here. I must have needed something but forget in the 5 steps to the pantry from the stove!

ORSprueills said...

That's the worst!