Thursday, May 8, 2008

Tribute to the blossoms!



As I have mentioned before, our yard is blessed with four apple trees and one cherry tree. From what the neighbors tell us, they produce great fruit. Actually, a few are a little disappointed we moved in...I've heard, last year, they helped themselves to the fruit, since the previous owner was not living here.
I can't wait to start canning and preserving, apple butter, apple jelly, dried apples, applesauce, apple topping, apple gumbo...just kidding.
The blossoms are just beautiful. They also have a lot of bees on them. If you stand under a tree it is a constant hum; the flowers are filled with honey and bumble bees. I took these at dusk, most the honey bees were gone, just a few bumbles left. I'm glad I took them when I did, the cherry tree has lost it's flowers and the apple trees are almost the same.
I'm really happy with the photos but I must give credit to my new camera. It offers an internal guide on special photo situations which I'm slowly figuring out.

3 comments:

ORSprueills said...

I didn't realize how much I missed the change. I thought about John the other day while making Rhubarb and Stawberry topping. I could make him some fruit pies!

Wendy said...

Beautiful photos! I just love the simplicity of the apple blossom. How great to have a ready food source right out your backdoor! Do you know what kind of cherry tree it is? I have cherries we picked last year in CT that I pitted and froze (sweet bing cherries) that I have no idea what to do with. Someone suggested cherry vodka but I don't know with frozen cherries?

ORSprueills said...

I don't know the kind of cherry tree, but I can't wait!
My thought on the frozen cherries-- once they thaw, remove the extra juice or substitute it for any water needed for the recipe. I have a spirited one, I can email to you?