Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Soon-to-be Locavore!



{locavore--

A locavore is someone who eats food grown or produced locally or within a certain radius such as 50, 100, or 150 miles usually for ecological reasons.

Michelle being a locavore, decided to buy local produce as opposed to imported goods from supermarkets.}

I am trying. When we decided to move to Oregon, I made it my goal to provide healthy, pure foods for my family.
Pictures above include, homemade yogurt, with the help of a yogurt maker I purchased in AZ. No more aspartame or Splenda yogurt. I add fresh fruit or organic granola. The cookies are homemade oatmeal raisin, my grandmother's recipe (thank you Sheri for sending that to me). Last, is Galette of Rhubarb, which doesn't look very pretty but tasted great!
The rhubarb grows in our backyard. A nice surprise from the previous owner. We couldn't identify it at first but, after looking at many pictures, concluded it to be rhubarb. Just to be sure, Wade checked pictures of Hemlock too. Chandler (apple not falling far from the tree) asked before eating it, "Could it be Hemlock?" Now that we have survived for a couple of weeks after eating it, I have a handful of recipes calling for rhubarb.
Granola and granola bars are next on my list. Thank you Wendy for the recipe.

No comments: