Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Dadada, Dadada, Garage Sale"

Friday we ventured out for local garage sales. I wanted the boys to understand that not every need or want must be bought new. As nice as buying new is, reusing is green, the economy sucks, mom doesn't have a job, there are bargains to be found, plus the whole "One man's trash, is another man's treasure". Saying that, I do have a few "off limits" at garage sales. I will not buy clothing, bedding, really anything made from fabric, or from a house that looks dirty, I know that narrows down this list...a lot!

I picked this week since the paper had about eight listings in the Forest Grove area. Which in this small town, I could make them all in 20 minutes without stopping. Of course, I stopped and looked, so the whole trip, including a coffee/smoothie break, took about two hours.

So what did we find on our shopping trip:
Nerf archery set
two fishing vests (I know--fabric, but the house was very clean, the label was expensive and they belonged to an older couple that can't fly fish anymore)
Vintage silverware storage box
binoculars
Solo cup holders
Bread Slicer (for my homemade bread)
New Pampered Chef 3 qt. stirring pitcher
Lawn Darts
New Star Wars model set
wrapping paper
fishing flies

All for the bargain price of $25, plus $9 for the coffee and smoothies.


What is with the title of this posting? When my oldest niece Molly was a toddler, she said this while imitating my sister on the phone. You know how little ones are, they just ramble like an actual conversation is taking place on their play phones. This is how her pretend conversation went,"Dadada, dadada, garage sale!" Now it is a joke between the sisters, when we are on the phone a lot with each other or ever bring up garage sales.

3 comments:

ORSprueills said...

She is 16 now, so I'm sure it is already torture, as is everything in life at 16!

Anonymous said...

Ok...now I'm crying, thanks! I just didn't expect to see the pic of MOlly, who by the way, started her new (first) job at McDonald's yesterday. I went to pick her up and decided to get a shake for Maggie at the drive up window....yes, there she was, ready to hand me the shake...I was laughing to hard and took and she turned around and I said "Have a nice day!" the guy working there had no idea she was my daughter and he said, oh, it's her first day... funny. She likes it, I can tell.

ORSprueills said...

See what you could have been crying all these months I've been posting. Some are funny and some are just crap, right Tina?
I'm so proud of Molly getting a regular teenage job. It is like that here too, all the high schools are looking for summer work. Arizona, not so much.