Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Love the U-Pick



We did our first u-pick of the 2008 season. During our visit in 2002, we did a few (blackberries, peaches, blueberries) and made several preserves. I remember how lucky I felt to have a four year-old and a two year-old willing to pick with me or at least hang out while I picked.
Now that we live here, I am excited to add the u-pick adventure to our annual summer activity schedule. Since both Chandler and Henry have issues with bugs, I wasn't sure how they would hold up. In trying to NOT control the situation and go with the flow, I relaxed and waited to see how they would react. Much to my surprise and delight, they did great. We picked for almost 2 hours, with only a couple of bug concerns, which included me too. Actually, the fake gun shot and wild bird sounds (to scare off bugs and birds) were more of a nuisance then the actual bugs would have been.
We picked over 12 cups of raspberries (another week on the blueberries), which yielded 12 jars of jam and a batch of raspberry vinegar.

4 comments:

ORSprueills said...

We have to plan that for your visit :)

He has sat in our new kitchen since we moved. I thought he might do you some good, since I hope to never move again.
Wade adds--send him back when the house sells--I think he feels it is bad luck to give him away. I think it is sharing the blessing...hope it helps.

Wendy said...

I love the u-pick stuff! It is great for kids to do it too. Just to be there partaking in the actual process of how we survive is a great subconscious lesson, plus it is fun. My kids fuss about the bugs (gnats are pesky in CT and the kids won't wear a hat or visor like I do). All those raspberries. Do you de seed your raspberries and if so how?
I remember you telling the St. Joe story but I forgot what it means to bury the statue?

ORSprueills said...

To sum it up and since it has evolved over the centuries, St. Joseph is the Patron Saint of a Happy Home, Safeguard of Families, and Protector of Children. The tradition is to bury the statue and pray for St. Joseph's guidance in selling a home and protecting the new home.
We did sell our house in two months, in a down market!

ORSprueills said...

I don't de seed them but I hear cheese cloth is good to use. The seeds in homemade jam are never a tough as store bought.