Thursday, August 28, 2008

An apple by any other name...


During our visit to Jossy Farms for peach picking, we inquired about the variety of our apples.

We have four apples trees, the two large ones with greener apples resemble each other, as do the two small ones with very red apples. We assumed they were different varieties. Not that it really matters, we are going to can the heck out of them anyway.


Much to my surprise, according to the farmers at Jossy Farms, they are all the same...Gravenstein Apples (which they also grow). Apparently, depending on the pollination, sun exposure, rain, etc., they can take on a variety of colors and sizes. Gravenstein apples are tart and used for applesauce and pies.


Although I have tasted several over the past few weeks, testing for harvest, Wade finally tried one on Saturday. Wade gave is a small thumbs up, maybe one or two more weeks before they are ready for picking. I couldn't wait, I made one batch of applesauce yesterday, with about 12lbs I picked over the weekend, sugar-free but with cinnamon.

1 comment:

ORSprueills said...

It is a little overwhelming. I have narrowed it down to, applesauce, apple pie, apple butter (Wade's request), chopped apple bread (my grandma's recipe), today I preserved apple slices.